Sichuan Dan Dan Noodle Recipe
This Chinese Sichuan noodle dish packs a lot of flavor and will leave you feeling satisfied.
For Pork Topping
- 1lb ground pork
- 15g rock sugar
- ⅛ cup of cooking oil
- 1 tbsp broad bean paste
- 30g minced garlic
- 10g minced ginger
- 2 tbsp Shao Xing cooking wine
- 3 tsp sweetened soybean paste
- 2 ½ cup of water
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp multi-flavor spices
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
For Base Seasoning
- ⅛ tsp salt (optional)
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ⅛ tsp ground Sichuan peppercorn
- ⅛ tsp ground green peppercorn
- ½ tsp dark soy sauce
- ½ tsp soy sauce
- 3/4 tbsp sesame paste
- 1 tbsp garlic water
- 1 tbsp red chili oil
In a wok, bring 2 liters of water to boil. Once boiling, add the ground pork and stir frequently to help separate the meat. Cook until the meat is no longer pink or red. Use a strainer to drain and rinse the cooked meat under running tap water, then set aside.
Note: This step helps get rid of the blood from the meat and helps separate the ground pork.
In a clean wok on medium to high heat, add ⅛ cup of oil and rock sugar. Stir the mixture together in a quick circular motion until the color reaches a deep brown. Next, add in the precooked ground pork and mix well.
Note: This step helps sheen the color of the meat.
- Now add the Broad Bean Paste and mix. Follow with the garlic and ginger and stir until the water in the wok has evaporated.
- Next add the cooking wine and sweetened soybean paste. Stir for 1 minute then pour 2 ½ cups of water, the dark soy sauce, multi flavored spices, white pepper, and sugar. Turn to low heat, cover the wok, and cook for 45 minutes.
- Wash and chop the green leaf vegetables. Set aside for later use.
- Prepare the number of bowls you will be serving and start adding ingredients to each one.
To cook the noodles, boil some water in a tall pot. Make sure you have enough water to cover the noodles. When the noodles are almost fully cooked, add 1 tbsp of the noodle water into each bowl you will be serving and mix well.
Note: The hot noodle water will help dissolve the sesame paste and other seasonings in the bowl.
- Once noodles are fully cooked, remove them and drain. Place your desired amount of noodles in each bowl.
- Boil the vegetables in the boiled noodle water for 20 seconds or until they turn bright green. Remove and place them on top of the noodles.
- Lastly, top the bowls off with ⅓ of meat sauce or more. Garnish with chopped scallion, mix the noodles, and enjoy!